Purple Flag was status in Newcastle under Lyme BID was first granted in November 2014. Purple Flag is a bit like Blue Flag for beaches, which denotes Newcastle as a safe and diverse place to go in the evening.
To achieve the award towns and cities must meet or exceed the ATCM’s (Association of Town and City Management) set of exacting standards, management processes and good practice examples designed to help transform town and city centres at night. This then highlights the awarded town as an entertaining, diverse, safe and enjoyable place for a night out.
The accreditation scheme which is governed by the Association of Town and City Management (ATCM) is designed to improve the early evening and night time offering in Town and City Centres. Purple Flag looks holistically at what a city or town centre can offer the general public and is based on 5 cornerstones:-
- Wellbeing (covering safety, care & health, regulation, services, partnerships and perceptions)
- Movement (covering public transport, car parking, pedestrian routes, crowd management, information, partnership)
- Appeal (covering food & dining, pubs & bars, late night venues, early evening, public buildings and arts & culture)
- Place (covering location, diversity, animation, design and identity)
- Policy Envelope (covering data, strategy, co-ordination, leadership, partnership and community)
So, what does this mean for Newcastle?
Cities and towns across the United Kingdom who have been granted this prestigious award have benefited by seeing increased footfall, inward commercial investment, lower crime & anti-social behaviour and improved perceptions from the public. We are confident that Newcastle-under-Lyme will reap the same benefits.
There are a number of planned improvements over the forthcoming 12 months.
- Development of the Street Chaplains guardianship service
- Improve the use of design and public art displays within the Town Centre, including Subways
- Continue to improve upon the late night food and entertainment offering in the early evening and night time economy
- Improve the variety of retail opportunities for consumers